Results for the KZN Trials to be held on the 3rd - 5th March 2017Click here
KZN High School Team
Inter pro held in Pretoria
Inter pro held in Pretoria
ETA High School Team lists U15 and U19
High Schools Trials selection criteria
- A minimum of two teams is selected in each age group. Two U15 and two U19. Each team consists of 12 players made up of 6 boys and 6 girls. Two boys and two girls must be PDI players. Determination of eligibility for each age category will be determined by the TSA/KZN rules in effect for that year. Identity Documents must be submitted.
- Players who are bona fide learners at an independent/state school, FET College or who are home schooled may be selected for the KZN High Schools tennis team.
- A rank order of the seeded players is determined by the number of matches won. 1 point will be awarded for each set won. A straight set win (2 sets) will gain a bonus point i.e. total of 3 points. A match won on a championship tiebreak will score 2-1.
- If 2 seeded players have the same number of wins, the winner of the head to head match will be the higher ranked player.
- If 3 or more seeded players have the same number of wins then the following will apply. The player with the most points will be the higher ranked player. If 2 players have equal points the head to head match will determine the ranking. Should 3 players have the same points then the player with the least number of games lost will be the higher ranked player. Should players still be equal then the latest TSA ranking order will be applied.
- The selection committee may decide to have additional playoff matches if they deem it necessary.
- The decision to play these additional ‘play off’ matches and team selection will be at the sole discretion of the selection committee and no discussion will be entered into with outside parties, players, teachers or parents. The top number 2 player/s may be given the opportunity to play the last number 1 player/s in contention for selection even if they are from the same district. The same rule may apply to the top number 3/4 player/s who may play the last contending number 2/3 player/s respectively. A maximum of 2 playoff matches will be allowed.
- Matches played at other tournaments will not be considered i.e. only results from matches played during the Inter District tournament will be considered.
- Once the team is selected challenge matches will not be allowed.
- In order to be selected for the KZN team, players must attend the Inter District Tournament. Should a player be representing South Africa at tennis or playing in an ITF tournament at that time, he/she will be awarded a position in the team automatically. The position will be at the discretion of the selection panel.
- All players participating in the Inter Regional tournament and those selected to represent KZN must be registered TSA members.
- A district player who sustains an injury during the tournament will only be considered if he/she produces a doctor’s certificate and if he/she will definitely be fit by the time of the Inter Provincial Tournament. The following criteria will be used to determine his/her eligibility for a position in the team:
- His/her performance at the tournament up to the time he/she was injured i.e. Matches won at the time of the injury with remaining matches considered as losses will determine eligibility
- His/her seeding at district level
- If a player is not available to play at the inter-provincial tournament, he /she may play in the inter-regional tournament but will not be considered for selection for the KZN sides. He/she must inform the selectors in writing of this decision before the start of the inter-regional tournament.
KZN Colours will only be awarded to players who play in the Inter Provincial Tournament. Disciplinary action may be taken if a player withdraws from the team.
- The selection committee will consist of the Chairperson of the KZNSTA, Chairperson of KZNHSTA, the convener of tournaments, one representative from each District committee and a representative from KZN Tennis Federation
- The team will be announced within one week after the conclusion of the Inter Regional Tournament after ratification by the federation. Notice of selection will be done via email to the respective school or parent as well as in the press.
- Behaviour on and off the tennis court is of great importance and will be taken into account when making selections. A player guilty of bringing the game into disrepute will be sanctioned and possibly omitted from the KZN team. The Chairman (or his/her designate), convener of tournament and an executive committee member will constitute the disciplinary committee. The findings of this committee will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- These Rules & Guidelines for selection form part of the policy of the KZNHSTA and will be circulated to each District. Each District is to ensure that players are aware of the rules.
- The rules for selection will be included in the Inter District Tournament booklet.
- Changes to these rules may only be made at an AGM of KZNHSTA
Guidelines for Play off matches:
- As per the Guidelines for selection the play off matches are at the sole discretion of the selection committee. Play off matches are not a right but discretionary.
- A player may be granted a maximum of two playoff matches (as time does not allow further matches).
- The top number 2 player may be granted a playoff against either the 5th best number 1 or the last merit position in the team (depending on the strength of the number ones). If they win they may be given a further opportunity to improve position.
- The 2nd best number 2 may then play against the next best number 1. If they win they may be given a further opportunity to improve position.
- The top number 3 player may be given the opportunity to play against the last contending number 2 (probably the 3rd best number 2 but dependant on strength). Should the number 3 win then another match may be granted and the number 2 player becomes a reserve.
- In exceptional circumstances a number 4 will be granted a play off.
- PDI play offs may also be called for.